CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses > CARE Centre’s Joan Lesmond IEN of the Year Awards
CARE Centre’s Joan Lesmond IEN of the Year Awards
IEN of the Year Awards
In 2011, CARE Centre’s 10th anniversary year, a new award was established to celebrate CARE Centre member IENs for their success in Canada. The CARE Centre Joan Lesmond IEN of the Year Awards is named in honour of the late Dr. Lesmond, a nursing leader and internationally educated professional who championed access to the nursing profession, and who contributed much to the development of CARE Centre in its early years. The first winner of the award was Loy Asheri, a RN at Sunnybrook Hospital’s cardiac ICU who also works with CARE Centre as a case manager. In its second year the award was bestowed on Ismail El-Assaad, an ICU RN at London Health Sciences University Hospital. In 2013 it was won by Edsel Mutia, a charge nurse and Critical Care Unit RN at North York General. In 2014 two IEN of the Year Awards were presented to recognize the important role of both RN and RPN nursing designations Ahmad Baki, an RN Oncology specialist and Adela Belisario, an RPN working in Complex Continuing Care received their awards at the inaugural Conference for IENs.
IENs may self-nominate or be nominated by colleagues or clients. The criteria are:
- Is a member of CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
- Is currently registered as a nurse in Ontario (RN or RPN)
- Has been working in a nursing practice environment for at least one year
Review the selection criteria and nominate a CARE Centre IEN if you are a:
- Nurse/Program Manager
- Team Leader
- Nursing Peer (nurse, health care discipline team member, physician)
- Patient or Family Member
- Case Manager
Instructions for Submitting Nominations Electronically
- Download the Information and Nomination Package to your desktop.
- Open the document in Word, enter information and contact details and re-save the document with the naming convention reflecting the nominee’s name and your initials as the submitting nominator i.e. first name initial/last name_ (your initials): anurse_(SN).
- You can save it as a Word document or send it as a pdf file.
- Please send to email@example.com. The deadline is September 15, 2017 at 5 pm.
Instructions for Submitting Nominations by Fax or Mail
If you would like to print out the form to complete hand-written and send it back by fax, the number is 416-226-5300.
You can mail the documentation to:
CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
620 Wilson Avenue, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario, M3K 1Z3
Please e-mail your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “IEN of the Year Award Nominations”.